Wednesday, January 18, 2006

tiptoe thru the tulips, ski dreams, vegetables


... ok it was more like mud puddles, but my valiant dog and I braved sprinkles to get in a smallish walk (which is much better than no walk at all). I am trying to be patient about getting into the Nutrisystem foods and not be too judgmental too soon, but I keep thinking that once I get portion sizes figured out, it would be almost as easy to do this myself.

I somehow had the idea that ALL my food was taken care of with NS. But I'm chopping up salads, cooking vegetables, putting fruit in cottage cheese - just like I would without them.

I do feel, for the first time in a long time, like I'm on what Dr Phil calls "project status" and if that's what my Nutrisystem $$ bought me, then that's worth it. I'm a little spoiled living in such a gourmet area, where we have so many choices of fresh food - so where I can see that while this NS food might be a delicious change of pace for many, it's not so much for me.

The other thing I like about NS is that it's easy to track what I've eaten on their web page's "diary" each day. It adds up the calories for each thing, but truthfully, so could I (since I do have a college edu-macation!)

I may consider NS a good way to get in the swing and practice how to structure meals and portions and then do it on my own with food I put together, including some frozen foods for convenience - things with the same kind of calories & protein balance as these NS foods.

It's empowering to think this way. Go me! It also eases my mind about getting stuck on "diet" instead of "lifestyle change."

Also a positive thing: I had a dream last night in which at one point I was entering the parking lot of Alpine Meadows with the group of people I'd been on a long-ish journey with. I was excited about getting to the slopes in a way I haven't felt about much of anything in a long time. I believe I was literally jumping up and down with glee.

It seems my inner child is eager to be fit again and enjoy that movement, speed, freedom (she is also probably pissed off about being shelved for so long.) I remember that when I was younger and we were asked in school to "close our eyes and imagine a happy place," that I always pictured myself at the top of Wolverine Bowl on a sunny day with all that snow below me waiting for a great ride down the mountain. It just seemed like nothing could touch me there, it felt like one of the few places where I was highly capable and independent and free.

No comments: