Sunday became a day of detox. My new little roomie said she'd never heard anyone use the word detox in reference to sugar or flour. I just smiled wryly and said, "Oh yeah, for me, yeah, detox."
I slept until noon, highly unlike me. I awoke with a pounding in my head that reminded me very unhappily of how migraines begin. I popped Excedrin Migraine down my gullet and unenthusiastically ate some fried eggs. Food is a whole different thing when you aren't in craving mode.
I could not get comfortable. I started thinking that my headache was triggered by sinus issues, so despite the bricks weighing down my skull and the little monkeys digging around my brain, I washed all my linens and vacuumed and otherwise tried to get rid of all dust. I ate some rice and beans. Bleah.
By 6 pm, I went back to bed and fell fast asleep. (Detoxing while asleep is way more comfortable than while awake.) I slept straight through until 6:45 am Monday morning, when I awoke feeling - GREAT.
Unbelievable. Here it is Tuesday and I already feel this huge boost in energy. I actually turned down a beautiful Meyer lemon sorbet last night.
Last night, I had horrible insomnia. I realized today that I was still drinking the amount of caffeine that a person experiencing sugar crashes requires, but now that I was sugar-free, I was just buzzing around the ceiling. So I am cutting down to one cup of coffee and one Diet Coke today.
Luckily, I had a wonderful book to read from that 10 pm to 1 am when I was just too wired to sleep.
I highly recommend "Line of Beauty." I am now about 3/4's of the way through it and eagerly awaiting the chance to dive into it again this evening. This author reminds me of Margaret Atwood in the way he describes his main character's innermost thinking. I totally recognize myself yet I have never consciously noticed these things about myself - it's disarming and intimate. I'm sure someone other than me can put this more elegantly. I'll look for a professionally written review! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment